Sunday, April 04, 2004

Ology
Ology means "the study of." The site Ology, is from the American Museum of Natural History. I love science, and this site is one of the best science sites for kids that I have ever found. Ology is an interactive site that touches on many areas of science including: astronomy, biodiversity, genetics, Einstein, marine biology, and paleontology. I never used to like science, because I could not make a personal connection to my life or experience. I, like most kids, wanted it explained in a way that made sense to my life. This site helps to make science make sense. I learned a lot by looking around at the different topics that it explores. I would definitely use this site in my classroom (grade 4, 5,6,7). One idea I have is to have the kids go in groups and each choose a topic. They could then learn about the topic by visiting this, and other sites, and then do a presentation of some sort, so that all the kids will learn about each topic.

The information is age appropriate, and is engaging. This site fits with the constructively approach, and allows kids to develop a clearer understanding of some very complex concepts.

Before teaching science in elementary school, you should check this site out. It is a great teacher resource, as it helps teachers to find out the simple way of explaining something, that is not simple. This is also a great site for kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home